Saturday 14 February 2015

MAKING NOTES ON A LONG TOUR

I usually carry a writing book with me on a long cycle to record my thoughts, however this has a few issues:

1. Heavy for a decent size notebook.
2. When it rains it gets sodden!
3. It's difficult to get out and put back every time I want to make a note, getting off the bike leaning on something etc...
4. Sometimes I just feel to tired to write
5. By the time I have thought of something gotton off to write it I have forgotten lol

I had decided to buy myself a voice recorder, however my sister jumped in and gave me an unsued Olympus Digital Voice Recorder VN-3500PC which has turned out to be fantastic.

VN-3500PC

It is easily accessible I can keep it in my cycling jacket, it's very light and I don't even notice it's there.

In LP (long play) mode it can record aprox 54 hrs of voice, I have tested the quality and it's fine for note taking.  If you take it right up to HQ (High Quality) it will only record 8hrs but good for a permanent record if that's what you want.

this should keep a good record of all my thoughts on the journey and allow me to transcribe them as I go.  One of the other major plus's to this is that once you have set the date and time, each file's name contains that date and time, great for keeping notes in order.

Downside:  The only downsides I have found is that it isn't waterproof in any way so I will have to be very careful.  I am going to try and find a waterproof case for it, I am sure there must be something suitable.

2 comments:

  1. Get something like Dragon Dictation and play the recordings back and might save time writing them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used the dragon dictation but it would mean getting my laptop out every time I stop. This device is small and sits in my pocket, so very easy to make notes on the go. I am also a touch typist so typing them up is no hardship!

    thanks for the idea Dave

    ReplyDelete