Sunday 22 September 2013

JOGLE ROUTE

This is my JOGLE page, for those who don't know a JOGLE is a journey from John O'Groats to Lands End  ahhhhh :-)  Also known as an End to End, although I don't think it's truly End to End unless you visit the most Northern and Southern point. (note, on my trip I managed to visit Dunnetts Head and Lizard Point) although Lizard point was touch and go!

I am going to list out my planned route and some other information that may be fun useful and or informative.

Click on the link below or the map to view my planned route, each day is coloured differently and there's links on the side for each day. 

My Route:  Link to route map


View DarkNewtJOGLE2013 in a larger map>

This route was based on one I downloaded, I will update this site with links to the tools I used.   For Navigation I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 with an external battery mounted in an Avenir 8 litre handlebar bag with a built in smartphone holder.  I am using Co Pilot to navigate and I have converted the .gpx files to the .trp format and I have also used a nifty java utility to join all the days into one route, I will update the details.

Route Plan:

Day 1 - John O'Groats to Tongue

Once I have been dropped off by Jazzy and Bill with last minute checks and goodbyes, I will be straight into it :-)

The plan for day one is to start out at John O'Groats, cycle the A836 and leave that on a detour to Dunnetts Head.  This makes a total of aprox  63.9 miles + 9.1 mile detour to see Dunnetts.

This is the Northern most point of the mainland and if I am cycling an End to End I don't think I would be able to resist it.  So while it's down as an option you can pretty much bet I will be doing it on the day.

Map Link:  Google Map of the route off my main Joggle

I will finish up in Tongue, and 71 miles aprox is a good days cycling.  This will be my first camp out and depending upon the weather and or the daylight I will push on until I see a decent camping spot.

According to Google it has wikipedia it has:  "a youth hostel, a craft shop, a general store and garage, a bank, a post office and two hotels, the Tongue Hotel and The Ben Loyal Hotel." 

Arran Island,


I have added a complete circuit of Arran for my trip as I intend to camp out there for the night.  It's a 60 odd mile trip round however it is still classed as "optional" and depends on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment